"I have work. Then a dinner thing, and then I am busy trying to become who I am." - Hannah, Girls

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Dear People We Bump Into While Running Errands,

Dear People We Bump Into While Running Errands,

Please stop asking my sister what she's "going to do." It's making her feel bad and is stressing her out. It's also really fucking annoying.

My sister just graduated college. She doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. She isn't going to graduate school in the fall. She doesn't have a job yet. She's not starting out with a whopping salary like our brother did. She doesn't have a plan right now. But she'll figure things out.

I realize when people ask my sister "what's next," they aren't trying to upset her. (God I hope it's just out of curiosity and not out of a desire to condescend).

My sister is funny, nice, and smart--but most of all funny. She'll be fine. I know it, and she knows it. I think we can all agree that the future sucks. Let's stop asking about it. And don't drill someone with questions before congratulating them on their degree.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is my first blog post. It happens to be rooted in love, anger, and humor. The second emotion is my favorite. The third is the most important. The first is unavoidable, but is still mostly foreign to me.

Hopefully this blog goes somewhere. Maybe it won't. Please don't ask about my plans for this corner of the internet. Because I don't have any plans. And that's okay. Congratulate me on having the courage to start writing instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment